Monday, February 20, 2012

"Do I look pretty, Mama?"

This story, How to Talk to Little Girls, got me thinking. On a daily basis I get asked by my little girls if they look pretty. Why is that so important already to them at 4 years old? It is scary! I have always struggled with self-esteem and unfortunately have placed a greater emphasis on outer beauty rather than inner beauty (a struggle to this day). So are they getting this message from me?

Lately, I have been trying to talk about how everyone is beautiful exactly how God made them. I talk about how different people are and have corrected the girls when they say they don't like people based on physical appearance. But it is a struggle. Princesses are beautiful and Prince Charming wants to marry them because they are beautiful. Well, lately we have been changing the stories a bit. Prince Charming found the Princess to be kind and loving and intelligent. Who knows if this will make any difference. We are attracted to beautiful things. An ugly Barbie doll wouldn't sell.

I guess I feel compelled to do something or hopefully encourage them in the right ways because of having three daughters. Does anyone else struggle with all of this? Any ideas or thoughts to share?

More articles to read:

http://motherhood.yourway.net/why-i-tell-my-girls-theyre-beautiful-often/

http://jeffdlawrence.com/2011/12/23/some-thoughts-on-how-to-talk-to-little-girls/

1 comment:

Triplet Mom said...

I totally know what you are talking about! I have the same conversations with my girls. I don't remember being so concerned with clothes and fashion at a young age (like 2 of my girls are now). But then I think, my mom wasn't. Is the fact that I like to dress nice having a negative effect? I don't really want to dress frumpy! I like your idea about changing the words to the stories :) I also committed to not buying clothes, shoes, purses for one year. It's February and I have already noticed urges to shop. I guess I did have some fashion problems that needed fasting ;)

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker