Thursday, July 19, 2012

the simple life

I just read "Simplicity Parenting." Very good book. Without this post reading like a book report, I want to share some of my favorite ideas from the book:


  • reduce the amount of toys kids have
  • reduce the amount of clothes & food choices for kids
  • reduce television time & it's marketing efforts on children towards consumerism
  • talk less
  • before you say something, ask yourself these three questions: Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?
  • kids don't need all these so called "enrichment" activities
  • kids don't need to be busy doing a sport or outside activity at all times. every season involved in something should be followed by a season off
  • busy days should be offset by non scheduled days


There is so much more I could go on and on about. Bottom line - read this book. And then let's sit down and have coffee to chat about it.  Maybe you won't agree with it all. Maybe you will. Maybe no one is even reading our blog anymore. If you are and want to chat, let me know.  I enjoy adult interactions :)

7 comments:

KatieKate said...

Kay. I'll read that next. You read CLEANING HOUSE by Wyma and we'll do the coffee thing.

Gus wanted to sleep with his big wheel last night.

michelle said...

Just requested it from the library! Looking forward to coffee :)

Unknown said...

I still read your blog...now books on the other hand, not sure if I have time for that! I will put it on my growing list of books I want to read! Thanks for the recommendation.

michelle said...

Thanks for still reading the blog, Kendra!

Triplet Mom said...

I still read :) Sounds like a great book! Simplifying with triplets is always a never ending battle!

Anonymous said...

I still read it! Lisa, Jill, and I were remembering the camp days the other day. I'm praying for you as well with the whole school thing.
MaryBeth

michelle said...

Wow! I didn't know anyone out there was still checking it. Thanks, Stacey & Mary Beth.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker